Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cheesy Zucchini Boats

I have been looking for other things to do with my zucchini and I found this recipe on a allrecipes. I loved it!! Aaron liked it too. I cut each in four pieces and I only ate two. Aaron ate the rest! So If you have company or kids who eat veggies I would double the recipe. I ate this with grilled chicken and couscous, It turned out just right.

  • 1 medium zucchini
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup chopped onions
  • 1 cup small cherry tomatoes halved
  • 2 tablespoons shredded cheese
  • I tried mozzarella on one half and feta on the other. Both really yummy!

Directions

  1. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out and reserve pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells. Place zucchini shells, cut side down, in a skillet. Add water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until tender; drain.
  2. Turn shells cut side up; sprinkle with salt. Chop zucchini pulp, onions and tomatoes; saute in a small saucepan in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in bread crumbs and any seasoning you want, garlic powder, pepper, and basil works well. Spoon into the zucchini shells; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook over medium heat (with no added water) for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
  3. You can broil it too to melt the cheese.

2 comments: